Thursday, June 16, 2005

Square Recommendations?

So my sister came up to visit for graduation, and I decided to show her the yarn, pattern book, and squares that I had already completed. I figured that if I was going to be investing so much time into this project which should be a lovely keepsake commemorating their wedding, my sister and her fiance should be completely enamored of the project. She loved the yarn and the styling of the patterns, but told me that she doesn't like bobbles (they look too much like something off a 5-year-old's sweater) and--more importantly--her fiance dislikes things that aren't symmetrical. So, after a long conversation with my sister, going through the pattern book, we came up with a new arrangement of squares that should suit her fiance (the afghan will be five squares by six):

0 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9
0 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9
0 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9

Each number represents a distinct square (so ten square designs total), with the additional caveat that odd numbers should be strongly linear (e.g. Julie H. Levy) and the even numbers should be weakly or not at all linear (e.g. Dagmara Berztiss, Ginette Belanger). As far as which squares to make and which ones to forego, she said that she trusts my judgement.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which squares should go in this afghan. I've already made the squares cited as examples above, so I'm looking for four strongly linear squares and three weakly linear squares, none of which has bobbles for bobbles' sake (the Levy is OK because they serve the function of filling in empty space, rather than just hanging out in the middle of a purled field). Any suggestions?

1 comment:

wittyknits said...

I've been pondering your question this week, and I'm not sure I've got a clear answer for you. But, I can tell you that when I started, I tried to plan out on a grid which squares would go where. I know that I'll probably end up changing some of them due to sizing, etc though. So I'm kind of in the camp of "plan, but be flexible" I guess.

I can advise you against doing the Hewitt square however--that one definitely fits in the "bobbles for bobbles sake" category for me. Ick.