Friday, August 19, 2005
A Square in a Day
Yesterday I realized my dream of knitting an entire square in a day. I started knitting at 10:30 and worked through to 12:30am, with perhaps two hours spent on lunch, dinner, and a phone call to the boyfriend. The result? The Kathleen T. Carty square! I now have a total of 15 squares done (15th being blocked), which puts me halfway towards my goal of 30 squares for my sister's ginormous afghan. I have eight unique squares, and will need to choose two more. Each square will be repeated three times.
I also wanted to share some pictures of my blocking board, since people had been complaining about how annoying it was to block the squares. I took a long piece of wood (about two inches wide and deep) and cut it into lengths of just over a foot, mitered the corners, and glued it together into a square. I covered the square with leftover calico fabric (stapling it on the back) and then drove little tacks in every three inches to form a 12" by 12" outline. All I have to do to block a square is wet it down, stretch it over the tacks, and leave it alone for a day.
Closeups of the finished blocks and larger versions of these pictures are available at www.stanford.edu/~odarcat/images/afghan