Tuesday, September 27, 2005

New to group

Hi,

Thank you for allowing me to join the group. I started the Ginette Belanger square on Monday Sept 19. The square is coming along great now but had a false start.

After I completed the first 24 row repeat I noticed the sequence of the border stitches on both sides of the cable pattern were not lining up correctly on a couple of rows and my DH notice this also. I determined that I had started the row using a row 2 from the border pattern instead of a row 4 and this is what caused the problem. I did rip back and started over and I now have completed 2 repeats and the square looks great.

There are a few things I am doing different then the pattern states as far as the cast on and the edge stitches. I used a crochet cast on with waste yarn and I am slipping the first stitch as if to knit at the beginning of every row and purling the last stitch of every row and instead of binding off the last row will place stitches on waste yarn or a stitch holder. The theory is that assembling the afghan will be easier.

Also all the cast ons will be 60 stitches, work the garter rows and then either decrease or increase to the stitches needed to complete the square. I realize there are a couple of squares this may not work for but will cross that bridge when I get to it.

GailR
(Michigan)

2 comments:

Angela said...

Sounds like a good plan! I like your idea of holding stiches instead of binding off. Definitely post pictures when you're finished with this square. I'd love to see how your borders look.

Welcome!

Agnes said...

I like your ideas ... thanks a lot. Very inspiring!