Monday, November 14, 2005

Denim version of GAAA

Hi folks. I was looking for help when I discovered this blog, thanks to Google!
I'm knitting the GAAA in Red Heart denim tweed. I had mixed feeling about using such an inexpensive yarn, but the price tag for better yarn straightened me out. The afghan is a gift for my granddaughter. She adores denim, which is why I chose that yarn.
There are a few squares that I didn't do. I didn't like the square with the little sweater, I thought it was gimmicky. I have about 16 squares completed, saved the hardest for last.
I'm now stymied in Kathleen Carty. I've finished the mitered border and am trying to get up the nerve to—for the 4th time—try the graft. Maybe it's too small for my middle-aged eyes. The diagram in the book looks harmless, but I completely get lost soon after I begin and end up tearing it out again. I also thought about starting with the all-knit cable section in the middle, then working out from the center. Does anyone have a tip for doing this?

4 comments:

strikkeforsker said...

Hi Martha,

What an interesting idea with the denim, it is probably more versatile than a white one.

Interstingly, I am also not fond of the Rainey square, the sweater one. It is sort of cheating to sew the sweater on... Sorry no tips about the Carty square, it am saving for later

Ulla

Angela said...

I have tried that square yet but I would love to see a picture of some of your work in that yarn!

Michelle said...

I'm right there with you--the grafting on the Carty square is murderous! I kept having the active yarn end on the wrong side (towards the center of the square, I believe, rather than on the outside where the grafting instructions want you to do it) so the first time I did the square I had to do the grafting backwards. I seem to recall that for the second instance of the square (my version of the afghan requires three copies of each of ten squares) I left a long enough cast-on tail that I could use that length for the grafting instead of the ending length.

As far as tips--I've only got two. The first is that it's going to look totally wrong while you're doing it, even if you're doing it right. You'll need to just persevere and withhold judgement until you've finished the whole grafting and evened the tension. The second is that it's easy to get lost, so it might be helpful to use a marker like a post-it to only let you see the column you're working on right now. You could essentially work the bottom needle and the top needle, then move the post-it to the next set before continuing. I didn't try that last bit--I just kept getting confused and going back and counting stitches and trying to match the drawing with what was in my hands and I know it can be a nightmare.

But I can also tell you that once you do finally get it, and it looks perfect and no one can find a seam anywhere, you'll be immensely proud of yourself. It's worth it.

I've got no advice on starting in the center and working out, other than to point out that even if you try that you'll still have to knit the cable border separately and graft it together, so it doesn't really help you with what seems to be your primary hold-up.

Good luck!

MarthainAlabama said...

Thanks for the comments. I'm working up my nerve to try again. In the meantime, I'd like to post pictures of some of the squares I've finished…but can't figure out how!! (Being a new blogger). Any suggestions would be welcome!