Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Question about the Dagmara Berztiss square

Hi all,
My name is Andrea and I live in Argentina. I've been lurking for a while, but now I would appreciate your help with a question about the Dagmara Berztiss square.
One of the instructions for the square is to "decrease 4" ("DEC 4): With yarn in front, sl 3, *pass 2nd st on RH needle over first (center) st, sl center st back to LH needle and pass 2nd st over it*, sl center st back to RH needle; rep from * to * once more, p center st. My first question is, do you think I should slip those first 3 stitches knitwise or purlwise? Also, to any of you who have knit this square, do you get a hole as a result of the decrease? I made a few tries and got a hole, but I don't see one in the pictures, so I assume I'm doing something wrong, and I may have more questions later!
Thanks for any help,
Andrea

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Andrea,

Generally, you always slip purlwise unless it specifically says to slip knitwise. I'm pretty sure I slipped them purlwise.

About the hole--I don't remember getting a hole, but of course now my afghan is 600 miles away and I can't go check. Thinking about how many stitches you're getting rid of, though, I can't see how there *wouldn't* be a hole on top of the decrease. What I think happens is that the purl stitches above the decrease, even though they get a hole, sort of disappear behind the knit decrease simply because they're further back than the knit stitches are. Does that make any sense?

AndreaB said...

Hi Michelle,
Thanks for your comment. You're right, I hadn't thought of it that way, but the holes have to be absolutely normal! And they do sort of merge into the background when you go on knitting. After much inner debate :), I just went ahead (slipping knitwise, I tried both ways and it didn't seem to make much of a difference), and I've already finished the square. It looks great, and I just keep patting myself on the back! That was a tough one for me.
Thanks again,
Andrea

lv2knit said...

I think you're doing it right -- and I agree that you slip as to purl unless told otherwise. I sometimes knit through the back loop on the following row (or ptbl as the case may be) to twist the st and tighten it up a bit if it is stretched out.
Susan Rainey

AndreaB said...

Thanks Susan! I'll try that next time...
Andrea