Monday, January 22, 2007

new here from Australia

Hello everybody. I'm from Australia, and just got the book from a Sydney company a few weeks ago. I don't know if the book has been available out here before now. It was great to find a website with some helpful tips.

I've knitted a few squares thus far. My advice to anyone newly beginning this project would probably be to start with the easiest squares first, listed in front of the book, just to get used to the abbreviations, knitting techniques and the charts. I'm just using a 12 ply wool for the project, and so far the guage seems to be okay.

So far, probably the hardest square for me has been the one by Georgie Vincent, pages 26-27. I have noticed that there are no yarn forwards in this book - only yarn overs. I am more used to yarn forwards. Most of the time, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. But in rows 8-13 of this square, you really need to use yarn over to get the right effect.

Some of the bobbles in the book are hard to work, especially on the smaller needles. Sometimes I put some of the stitches on a much smaller needle to make it easier to insert the other needle. Instead of knitting into the back of the stitch, you can slip off the stitch and put it back on so that it is slanting the other way, if that makes sense. Drawing the stitches through at the end to make the bobble can also be made easier by using a crochet hook.

I grew up in the town of Woomera, which of course had a lot of US personnel and their families. Even back then, I noticed how clever and creative some of the American ladies could be with their knitting. This afghan is no exception. Anyone interested in more creative knitting projects, I recommend this story - http://www.abc.net.au/tasmania/stories/s1212449.htm. Happy knitting!

Sandra

No comments: