Monday, May 02, 2005

My Selesnick Square!

Originally uploaded by kbshee.
I haven't blocked it yet, but here is my Selesnick square. I like it!

A couple things about this: in comparison with the other squares I've done this seems a bit smaller both width and length wise (but that might be taken care of with blocking). I used MAYBE half a ball of yarn on this (I'm guessing that the one ball per square estimate is wayyyy high!). It went pretty fast, and I'm pleased with the results.

Next for me: the Adams square!


Silver said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Silver said...

I agree, this square is the smallest of the bunch so far. I blocked it once, but it didn't help much. I'm currently blocking it again, using many pins all the way around to stretch it out. Hopefully it will work. If not, I'll knit another square for the afghan and use this one for a pillow.

wittyknits said...

Hmmmm...maybe I'll tackle this one next. I finished the one I was working on tonight, and noticed that so far, my DNA cable square looks to be a bit shorter than the others. Maybe I'll need a couple to come out shorter to even it out.

Silver said...

I reblocked this square, and while it IS 12x12 now, it's noticably thinner (not as thick and cozy) than the other squares. Overall, I'm not happy with it. I think I WILL be knitting another square for the afghan. :/

Michelle said...

Would you recommend trying to modify the pattern to make it larger, or perhaps using larger needles than are called for?

Kim in Oregon said...

One easy thing to do would be to add a couple of garter rows on the top and bottom, as well as some extra stitches to the '3 garters' on each side. This might make the square a bit 'unbalanced' and notlooking like the other squares, but I think it would be worth it.

In fact, I would even pick up stitches around it after it was completed, since there will be so much going on in that afghan I don't think anyone would notice a bit of a different thing happening with the Selesnick square.

Silver said...

Personally, if I was going to do this one again, I would do these changes:

Knit a few rows of reverse st st below and above the hearts, but continue the cables on each side. I'd also add more stitches of rev st st between the hearts and on either side of them. Overall, the appearance would be very similar, but it would make it longer and wider.

I'm not gonna do it though. I'm so disappointed with this square, I'd rather do something else entirely. :/