Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Wow.

If you haven't yet, peruse the pattern for the Ginger Smith square and notice the odd construction of this.

Why yes, it's done in columns.

I discovered this while trying desperately to figure out why my charts weren't working last night. Luckily, I reverted to the words pretty quickly and noticed this oddity. So now, I have the first column done, and am ready to start picking up stitches for the next section.

I loathe picking up stitches. And now I have two projects that are in need of having stitches picked up tonight. Ick.

It's a cool idea for construction, but I really wish I'd realized it before I cast on. Wow.

3 comments:

Silver said...

I just finished that square yesterday! Odd, yes. And I really don't see a valid point for doing it this way other than just to show that you can.

Picking up the stitches is easy though because you just pick up one in each slipped stitch along the edge.

Overall, it was a so-so square to do. Nothing exciting, but not too boring either.

wittyknits said...

And I really don't see a valid point for doing it this way other than just to show that you can.

Exactly what my thought was last night. And yeah, I do appreciate that she at least made the picking up easy due to the slipped stitches, but I still have this mental block about picking up.

I think it all stemmed from last year when I had to pick up several hundred stitches around the outside of an afghan I was making as a wedding gift, and I was still doing it 14 hours before the wedding. :-)

Kim in Oregon said...

I had noticed that in the pattern when I read through the book...I agree, it is a case of 'do it just because you can'. I personally don't mind picking up stitches so I might move this one higher on my list!